This generation depends on Google Maps more than anything else when it comes to navigation. It is an essential service app that allows people to find addresses, businesses, hiking routes, review traffic situations, etc. Google Maps is like an indispensable guide, especially when we are in an unknown area. Although Google Maps is quite accurate, there are times when it shows the wrong path and leads us to a dead-end. However, a bigger problem than that would be Google Maps not working at all and not showing any directions. One of the biggest nightmares for any traveler would be to find their Google Maps app malfunctioning when they are in the middle of nowhere. If you ever experience something like this, then don’t worry; there is an easy fix for the problem.
Now, Google Maps uses GPS technology to detect your location and track your movements while driving/walking along a path. In order to access the GPS on your phone, the Google Maps app requires permission from you, just like other apps require permission to use any hardware on your device. One of the reasons behind Google Maps not showing directions is that it does not have permission to use the GPS on the Android phone. Apart from that, you can also choose whether or not you would like to share your location with Google. If you have opted to disable the Location services, then Google will not be able to track your position and hence show directions on Google Maps. Let us now take a look at the various solutions to fix this problem.
Fix Google Maps not showing directions in Android
1. Turn on Location Services
As mentioned earlier, Google Maps will not be able to access your GPS location if you have disabled location services. As a result, it is not able to show directions on the map. There a solution to this problem. Simply drag down from the notification panel to access the Quick Settings menu. Here, tap on the Location/GPS icon to enable Location Services. Now, open Google Maps again and see if it works properly or not.
2. Check Internet Connectivity
To work properly, Google Maps needs a stable internet connection. Without internet connectivity, it would not be able to download maps and show directions. Unless and until you have a pre-downloaded offline map saved for the area, you will need a working internet connection to navigate properly. To check internet connectivity , simply open YouTube and see if you can play a video. If not, then you need to reset your Wi-Fi connection or switch to your mobile data. You can even switch on and then switch off the Airplane mode. This will allow your mobile networks to reset and then reconnect. If your internet is working correctly and you are still experiencing the same problem, then move on to the next solution.
3. Reset Google Play Services
Google Play Services is a very important part of the Android framework. It is a crucial component necessary for the functioning of all apps installed from the Google Play Store and also apps that require you to log in with your Google account. Needless to say, the smooth functioning of Google Maps depends on Google Play Services. Therefore, if you are facing problems with Google Maps, then clearing the cache and data files of Google Play Services might do the trick. Follow the steps given below to see how:
1. Go to the Settings of your phone.
2. Tap on the Apps option.
3. Now, select the Google Play Services from the list of apps.
4. Now, click on the Storage option.
5. You will now see the options to clear data and clear cache. Tap on the respective buttons, and the said files will be deleted.
6. Now, exit the settings and try using Google maps again and see if the problem still persists.
Also Read: Fix Google Play Services Battery Drain
4. Clear Cache for Google Maps
If clearing the cache and data for Google Play Service didn’t solve the problem, then you need to go ahead and clear the cache for Google Maps as well. It might seem vague, repetitive, and unnecessary, but trust me, it often solves problems and is unexpectedly useful. The process is quite similar to the one described above.
1. Go to the Settings and then open the Apps section.
2. Now, select Google maps and in there, tap on the Storage option.
3. After that, click on the Clear Cache button, and you are good to go.
4. Check if the app is working properly after this.
5. Calibrate the Compass
In order to receive accurate directions in Google Maps, it is very important that the compass is calibrated. It is possible that the problem is due to the low accuracy of the compass. Follow the steps given below to re-calibrate your compass :
1. Firstly, open the Google Maps app on your device.
2. Now, tap on the blue dot that shows your current location.
3. After that, select the Calibrate compass option on the bottom left side of the screen.
4. Now, the app will ask you to move your phone in a specific way to make figure 8. Follow the on-screen animated guide to see how.
5. Once you have completed the process, your Compass accuracy would be high, which will solve the problem.
6. Now, try searching for an address and see if Google Maps provides accurate directions or not.
Also Read: Fix Google Maps not talking in Android
6. Enable High Accuracy mode for Google Maps
Android Location Services comes with an option to enable high accuracy mode. As the name suggests, this increases the accuracy of detecting your location. It might consume a little extra data, but it is completely worth it. Enabling high accuracy mode might solve the problem of Google Maps not showing directions. Follow the steps given below to enable high accuracy mode on your device.
1. Open the Settings on your phone.
2. Tap on the Passwords and Security option.
3. Here, select the Location option.
4. Under the Location mode tab, select the High accuracy option.
5. After that, open Google Maps again and see if you are able to get directions properly or not.
- How to Copy an Image to Clipboard on Android
- 8 Ways to Fix Android GPS Issues
- 10 Ways To Back Up Your Android Phone
These were some of the solutions that you can try to fix the Google Maps not showing directions in Android error. However, an easier alternative to avoid all these problems is to download the offline maps for an area in advance. When you are planning to travel to any location, you can download the offline map for the neighboring areas. Doing so will save you the trouble of being dependent on network connectivity or GPS. The only limitation of offline maps is that it can only show you driving routes and not walking or cycling. Traffic information and alternate routes will also not be available. Nonetheless, you will still have something, and something is always better than nothing.